The Institute for Theoretical Physics (IFT) UAM-CSIC was officially created in 2003 as a joint research center belonging to the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC) and the Autonomous University of Madrid (UAM). It is the only Spanish center dedicated entirely to research in Theoretical Physics. The IFT members develop research in the frontiers of Elementary Particle Physics, Astroparticles and Cosmology, in order to understand the fundamental keys of Nature and the Universe. They are also leading many research projects, both at the national and international level. The IFT is part of the strategic line `Theoretical Physics and Mathematics´ of the Campus of International Excellence (CEI) UAM+CSIC established in 2009. Since 2012, it is credited as Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence. Besides purely scientific activity, in the IFT is also conducted intensive training tasks of young researchers and professionals through the graduate program in Theoretical Physics with mention of excellence from the CEI and the Ministry of Education. In addition, the Institute carries out the important task of transferring knowledge to society through several outreach programs.
XIX IFT Xmas Workshop
Particle Physics, Astroparticles and Cosmology
Madrid, 11-13 December 2013
More info: http://www.ift.uam-csic.es/workshops/Xmas13/
The Institute for Theoretical Physics IFT CSIC-UAM welcomes applications to postdoctoral positions under various government-funded programs:
- SO(IFT) postdocs, funded by the Severo Ochoa Excellence Grant. Offering SEVERAL positions with contracts starting October 2014, ranging from 2 years to 2+1 years. Recommended to have PhD before June 30, 2014.
- ERC-SPLE postdocs. Luis Ibáñez ERC Advanced Grant project "String Phenomenology in the LHC Era''( Homepage of the project). Deadline December 15, 2013.
- ERC postdocs. Advanced Grant project "Self-completion" led by Prof G. Dvali at LMU and Prof C. Gomez at IFT. Deadline December 15, 2013.
La próxima actividad (hangout) tendrá lugar el día 10 de diciembre a las 16h.
Los datos para conectarse online se publicarán en la web: http://workshops.ift.uam-csic.es/ws/hangouts
Puedes enviarnos tus preguntas a través de Twitter, utilizando el hashtag #desmontandoaHiggs o al correo electrónico susana.hernandez [at] uam [dot] es
Más información: http://bit.ly/1iCaPnz
Tadeo Jones enseña a los más peques qué es el bosón de Higgs.
Dr. Luigi del Debbio from University of Edinburgh is visiting the IFT for the period December 2nd to 5th. His office number is 315.
His research interest are:
- Nonperturbative aspects of Quantum Field Theories.
- Applications to Particle Physics: QCD, low-dimensional fermionic models, models for Electroweak Symmetry Breaking.
- Computational Physics.
Dr. Liam Keegan from CERN is visiting the IFT for the period December 2nd to 6th. His office number is 315.
He is interested in understanding theories beyond QCD using lattice field theory methods.
Dr. Jan Zaanen is one of the leading condensed matter thoerists
whose research includes applications of the AdS/CFT correspondence
to strongly interacting quantum many body physics.
- high temperature superconductivity
- strongly correlated systems
- applications of the AdS/CFT correspondence
Dr. Francisco Peña from University of Crete is visiting the IFT for the period November 25th to December 13th. His office number is 316.
His research interests are:
- Strongly coupled systems
- Systems in and out thermal equilibrium
- Hydrodynamic and non-dissipative transport
Dr. Eugenio Megías from Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona is visiting the IFT for the period November 25th to December 6th. His office number is 317.
His research interests include:
- Thermal Field Theory,
- String Theory methods applied to strongly coupled field theories,
- Quantum Chromodynamics,
- Quark Gluon Plasma,
- Quantum Anomalies,
- Higgs physics.